Thursday, March 1, 2012

Eternity was in our lips and eyes (Fun)

I wanted this blog post to be a little more lighthearted than my other posts. So, I decided to post an essay I wrote for an intro class my first semester at OBU. Basically, it's about having fun. My classmates seemed to enjoy it, so I thought I might share it with you guys! Here's my essay entitled "The Power of Fun":

--------------------

            As I’ve grown older, I’ve noticed the diminishing amount of time to simply enjoy myself and have fun. This has forced me to take advantage of the chances I get. During our elementary school years, the time to enjoy ourselves greatly outweighs the time we must spend on homework. As small children we don’t realize how much the adult world envies us. When we move into high school, the work load gets heavier and heavier and demands more of our time, leaving less room to simply have fun. It’s during these brief moments of excitement and social interaction that we release the stress and worries of the day. To function properly, I contend that everyone must find time to simply enjoy the freedom of fun. 
            During the summer after my senior year of high school, a group of friends and I decided to go to a theme park for the day. There were roller coasters, entertainers, games, candy, and a variety of rides. We were the first customers of the day, so we had the privilege of observing the rest of the people who decided to come and take advantage of all the park had to offer. Before the park even opened, I began to notice the lack of excitement running through the crowd. Anticipation was nowhere to be found. Even small children, in their giddy innocence, seemed to partake in their parent’s lack of emotion. If there was one word that could be used to describe the atmosphere present at the gate, it would be bored. This was confusing to me because everyone waiting in line with us was only a few steps away from enjoyment. How could they not be excited? 
            When the park opened, I pondered this question as my group headed to our first ride, The Mind Eraser. This coaster was the fastest the park had to offer and my level of anticipation nearly matched its speed. Gazing up at the blue-green seats flying along the track caused me to forget the conundrum I had encountered earlier at the gate. However, the uninterested nature of the people quickly made its way back into the crowd waiting in line. Not a single smile could be found. I related this to my friend and it was then we decided to have more fun than we were supposed to. As soon as we sat down and were strapping ourselves in to the ride, we threw our hands in the air and started screaming shouts of enjoyment. We received many strange looks, but our goal was accomplished. People started to laugh, they began to enjoy themselves. The very essence of the theme park itself was being placed back into the minds of its attenders. As we exited the ride, the conductor stopped us and commented that we were the best customers of the day. So not only did our actions provide enjoyment for our fellow theme park attendees, it renewed a sense of vigor in the workers. 
            The day continued on and my friend and I continued to have more fun than we were supposed to. This trip caused me to forget all my worries about college and life and was an amazing opportunity to spend time with my high school friends. All in all, I concluded that the fun I had that day didn’t come from the rides at the park, or the friends I was able to share it with, but it came from my conscious effort to have more fun than I was supposed to. When you get the chance to have some fun, use it, enjoy it, and simply make the best with what you’ve got.

--------------------
That's all I have for today. It's kinda short, but I hope you enjoyed it! 
Keep being awesome! See you next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment