Thursday, February 23, 2012

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown (God's timing)

"Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains!" You just read that in the tune it goes to. Now you're smiling. Oh my, what a way to start a blog.

Anyway, since that introduction had nothing to do with the topic I'm going to write about today, here is the real reason I wanted to blog. Timing.

Yep, I think think this post will go along well with my blog about patience. Click! If you want to take a gander and read that one before you dive into this one be my guest. If not, enjoy!

--------------------

In my post about patience I talked about how God really wants me to learn the value of patience. Last night, I feel like I was enlightened on another issue closely related to this topic. That being timing.

I love having things done on my own timing. Seriously, I almost always need to have everything accomplished in a time frame that I can deal with. I think the most prominent example from my years living at home was with the cleanliness of our living area.

My siblings and I basically had the (finished) basement entirely to ourselves. This meant that it was primarily our jobs to keep it clean. At heart, I'm a neat freak. Everything needs to be cleaned from time to time and it should never get to the point where its an adventure just to find a place to put your foot on the floor without stepping on a Lego. So, I would often hound my brother and sister to clean their rooms and the basement. All on my timing.

I was so set in my ways that if I wanted something clean, it was going to get clean right then and there. There's no use in waiting til' later to get it done. It was on my timing. Finally, after many years of this, I realized how much that didn't work in getting my siblings to do any work. I had to work with their timing and be respectful of when they wanted to do it.

This small scale example only displays what I'm trying to get at on a human to human type level. That kind of timing can usually be worked out and justified as long as both parties are willing to cooperate. In some cases both people get what they want, in others, neither do. But what I'm going to address is on a much bigger scale. God's timing.

I am the kind of person that hates not knowing. It's also discouraging to me when big life events aren't on my timing. For example, in my post about God's provision, I was terrified trusting in God's timing. He worked it out in the end, but I had to wait, I had to be patient, and I had to follow His timing.

Last night at Bible study, someone talked about the amazing book of Habakkuk. Yes, that is actually a book of the Bible, it's in the Old Testament, and it truly is an amazing little book. The book is very artistic and well-worded (perfect for literary work connoisseurs) and woven within the three little chapters is an epic story of how God provides on His timing.

The verse I want to point out is from the 2nd chapter in verse 3. In context, basically, Habakkuk has been complaining to God and this verse is part of God's response: "For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay." Focus in on that last sentence.


Waiting is almost never fun, but this verse gives us an encouragement. It will come. Everything will be clear one day and you will know everything you needed to know. 


One thing that is constantly on my heart is who my wife will be in the future. I know right now that I am dating a wonderful woman, but I don't know if she will be my wife. I probably won't know for many years, but this verse offers me hope. It tells me that even though I have no idea, in the future, some day, it will make sense. This could mean I'm supposed to be single all my life or that I don't get married until I'm 35. Only God knows that. It's encouragement is two-fold. 


1. Someone out there does know your future (that being God)
2. Eventually, you will know


Hopefully this verse and this book can bring you the same encouragement it has brought me. You don't need to worry about your future or a big event coming up in your life. Just wait and it will certainly come.

--------------------

Tune in next week for a little more lighthearted blog. I hope you enjoyed this one and that it was encouraging and uplifting to you.

Keep being awesome! See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment